Grant Burge releases exceptional new Icons and Wines of Distinction for the Global Vintage Release
On Thursday 25th August 2022, pioneering Barossa winemaker Grant Burge will release its highly anticipated collection of world-class Barossa wines globally. The 2022 Grant Burge Vintage Release exemplifies the brand’s devotion to the land, and the values of abundance and generosity upon which the brand was founded.
Chief Winemaker, Craig Stansborough says: “This is always an exciting time for us to bring the hard work of recent vintages to our customers and this year is no exception.” Each wine in the Vintage Release shares the iconic Barossa producer’s winemaking philosophy that is to carefully craft generous wines that are distinctive to the vineyard and the vintage. “These wines are not only an expression of recent vintages but are a continuation of the previous generations who devoted themselves to the Barossa landscape. These wines are a tribute to past and present”.
The Vintage Release is comprised of five wines from three vintages, and four varieties from the pinnacle of the Grant Burge collection. “Our Icon Wines and Wines of Distinction are the highpoint of the winemaking year for us – reflecting the best fruit, from the best sites, crafted into outstanding wines”, says Stansborough.
The Grant Burge Icon Wines are the epitome of the Grant Burge range, meticulous viticulture and winemaking, with only the best parcels of the vintage selected for the final blends.
The 2022 release includes three wines from the Icon Range:
- The Grant Burge Meshach Shiraz 2018 classified by Langton’s as ‘Outstanding’ and is described by Stansborough as a “complex, elegant and generous wine which will age gracefully for years to come”.
- The Grant Burge Shadrach Cabernet Sauvignon 2018 represents the best Cabernet Sauvignon from Grant Burge and from an ideal Cabernet vintage, it is, “a well-structured, complex, and enduring wine with a classic bouquet reminiscent of powerful Cabernet wines”.
- The Grant Burge Nebu Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 2019 is a meticulous blend of both varieties at the essence of the Icon wines and is described by Stansborough as “rich, brooding and complex, with firm but fine tannins and great length and presence”.
The Grant Burge Wines of Distinction celebrate the Burge family’s enduring devotion to the land, whereby meticulous viticulture is matched with thoughtful winemaking to ensure seamless balance and individual character. The 2022 release comprises two wines in the Wines of Distinction tier, The Holy Trinity Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre 2020 and The Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz 2020.
- The Grant Burge Holy Trinity 2020 is a traditional blend of Grenache, Shiraz and Mouvèdre with fruit selected from “old dry-grown vines which range from 35 to 100years old, offering and intense yet complex aromas followed by a fine palate with silky tannins and a long and luscious finish”, says Stansborough.
- The Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz 2020 is sourced from and around the renowned Filsell vineyard, offering classic Barossa notes of violets, spices, chocolate and rich fruit – it’s a wine of immense generosity and great complexity”, says Stansborough.
The 2022 release is both a celebration and expression of the pillars that Grant Burge was founded on – devotion to the land and progressive winemaking techniques – that has upheld the brand and distinguishes the wines of some of Barossa and Australia’s finest.
About Craig Stansborough
Chief Winemaker Craig Stansborough joined Grant Burge Wines in 1993 as Cellar Manager but was soon promoted to Assistant Winemaker a year later, Winemaker in 1995 and Senior Winemaker in 1997. Stansborough’s brilliant rise within the Grant Burge fold was due to his enormous talents, leadership, inquisitive mind and insatiable passion for winemaking, qualities that are the essence of the Grant Burge brand.
About Grant Burge Wines
The Burge’s began as a family of devoted vignerons. For five generations, they spent their days toiling the land, understanding the soil and from it growing grapes that would become the most luxurious of wines. In 1865, Meshach Burge installed fermenting tanks in one of his sheds and whilst he didn’t intend on sparking a world-famous wine empire, he simply wanted to share with wine with his friends and family. Out of his generosity, came what is today the Grant Burge brand. Built on this foundation of devotion and sharing and wanting to consistently over-deliver, with each tier continuously exceeding expectations. We use our intrinsic knowledge of the land and winemaking to produce a progressive and varied portfolio of wines that encourage people to explore and share in the generosity that is Grant Burge. Grant Burge Wines has been rated 5 Red Star Winery 13 consecutive years by the Halliday Wine Companion.
The Grant Burge 2022 Vintage Release comprises:
- The Grant Burge Meshach Shiraz 2018
- The Grant Burge Shadrach Cabernet Sauvignon 2018
- The Grant Burge Nebu Cabernet Sauvignon Shiraz 2019
Wines of Distinction
- The Grant Burge Holy Trinity Grenache Shiraz Mourvèdre 2020
- The Grant Burge Filsell Shiraz 2020
Shop the wines and read more on the Grant Burge Wines website.